Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Indian students still a tiny minority


Roughly 5,000 Indian nationals are presently studying at German universities. What may sound a lot, is actually very little. The numbers of students from other take-off countries like China, Russia and Turkey are in the five-digit range. Considering the fact that Indians make up a meager 2 percent of Germany's international student population of approximately 250,000, Stefan Weckbach, German Consul-General in Chennai, sounds overly optimistic when he told the Indian daily "The Hindu" that "Germany is a sought-after destination for higher learning" in India. In this context it has to be said that the German consular representations in India have often not been very encouraging, to put it mildly, in their dealings with study applicants from the subcontinent. No wonder then that many promising candidates, supported by their English fluency, have looked for greener pastures elsewhere...

From other parts of the world, students continue to flock in steadily growing numbers to Europe's economic powerhouse. Up till now, Germany has withstood the European debt crisis quite well, which is reflected in strong domestic demand and a buoyant job market. Many academics in India, who - for understandable reasons - have traditionally been oriented towards the English-speaking world, will probably be surprised to hear that Germany has the most internationalised student population of all countries. According to Prashasti Rastogi, DAAD representative in New Delhi, 12 percent of all students at German universities are foreign nationals. Whether India can keep up with its main competitors in the developing world like China and Brazil will also depend on the country's ability to better tap Germany's high-tech potential in the future and to send more of the best students there for an advanced research-oriented education.

Chris

germanstudycentre@gmail.com        

7 comments:

  1. Hello Chris,
    I'm Anita, a third year mechanical engineering student in Mumbai. I plan to undertake my masters studies abroad and had visited a counsellor for advice regarding the various countries. However information about Germany wasn't as much in depth as about countries like US, Canada etc.. I found your blog quite interesting and it was very encouraging reading your articles. And now Germany has become one of the main countries I hope I get to study in. I have decided to take up basic German classes soon and have also set my gre date in July. Thanks for an enlightening blog read and hope to read more soon.
    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anita,
    I am glad to hear that you find our blog helpful. In case you wish to obtain personalised admission counselling, kindly contact me by mail at germanstudycentre@gmail.com.
    Regards,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello sir my name is Dipendra Maharshi and I am a student of B.Sc. part 2 and I am planning for higher study (M.Sc.)in Deutschland.
    So I want ask you that is Germany a fine destination for me for M.Sc. in Physics and Is learning German essential.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello sir, I'm Prasanna from TamilNadu. I'm pursuing Mechanical Engineering 3rd year. I'm quite interested in doing my MS in Germany but am not about what are all the requirements I need to come across ! Kindly please explain me sir !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kind attention Medical Doctors: Please visit www.medicaltrainingingermany.com to know more about PG(if it can be called so) Medical Training options in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 교환학생 This particular is usually apparently essential and moreover outstanding truth along with for sure fair-minded and moreover admittedly useful My business is looking to find in advance designed for this specific useful stuffs…

    ReplyDelete